The Department of Mathematics and Statistics offers degree programs leading to Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Bachelor of Science (BS) in Mathematics, and Bachelor of Science (BS) in Statistics.
Within the BA and BS programs in Mathematics the following Areas of Concentration are available:
- Concentration toward Graduate Studies
- Concentration in Applied Mathematics
- Concentration in Optimization and Operations Research
- Concentration in Actuarial Science
- Concentration in Statistical Sciences
- Concentration in Mathematics Education
Within the BS program in Statistics, the following Concentration Tracks are available:
- Mathematical Statistics Track
- Applied Statistics Track
Students in other departments may pursue a minor or a second major in Mathematics or Statistics:
- Minor in Mathematics
- Minor in Statistics
- Minor in Biomathematics
Questions on Mathematics and Statistics foundations courses
Questions about 100- or 200-level Mathematics or Statistics courses, such as prerequisites, or problems signing up for a course, should be directed to the course’s instructor.
The evaluation of transfer credits is handled by UMBC’s Registrar’s Office. You will find forms and instruction for this purpose in their website. Course placement is administered through the Learning Resources Center.
ARTSYS (The Articulation System for Maryland Colleges and Universities) maintains a database of course equvalencies for tranfer purposes.
Declaring or changing to a Mathematics/Statistics major/minor
Students interested in declaring a Mathematics or Statistics major or minor should fill out a Change of Major Form from the Registrar’s Office and submit it to the Departmental Coordinator, Ms. Janet Burgee, in MP 410. She will then forward your completed form to the Registrars Office and assign you a Mathematics/Statistics Advisor.
Advising for majors/minors and general questions
For general questions on the Mathematics or Statistics programs, contact the appropriate person in the Points of contact paragraph below.
Current Mathematics or Statistics majors and minors can locate the name of their academic advisor on the bulletin board across from the Math/Statistics Office in MP 410 or in myUMBC in the Advising and Student Support topic under My Advisors. All students who have been assigned an advisor should make appointments directly with him or her. Students who wish to switch advisors should contact Ms. Janet Burgee; see below. The following links and forms serve as resources during advising meetings:
- Advisement Form for BS in Mathematics
- Advisement Form for BA in Mathematics
- Advisement Form for Minor in Mathematics
- Advisement Form for Minor in Biomathematics
- Advisement Form for the BS in Statistics on the Mathematical Statistics Track
- Advisement Form for BS in Statistics, on the Applied Statistics Track
- Advisement Form for minor in Statistics
- UMBC Undergraduate Catalog
Points of contact
Program Coordinator: Ms. Janet Burgee
Location: Math/Psychology Building, Room 410
Mathematics Program Advisor: Dr. Kalman Nanes
Location: Math/Psychology Building, Room 439
Statistics Program Advisor: Dr. Elizabeth Stanwyck
Location: Math/Psychology Building, Room 404